Thursday, January 31, 2008

Our Homemade Laundry Detergent

I have been making and using my own laundry detergent, and I'm happy to report that it's working just great!!

Mix in old Ecover laundry container about 3/4 bottle Dr Bronner's liquid soap (I used the lavender) along with about 1/2 cup of baking soda and then fill container about 3/4 full of water. (There was nothing scientific about my measurements!) Then I add 1/2 capful (which amounts to about 2 tbsp) of the liquid with each load of wash. I add a bit of water for maybe a minute, put the soap in and then the clothing. I have heard some people have gotten bad results from putting Bronner's straight on clothing.

Laundry comes out smelling faintly like lavender and very clean!

I think next time I will use less Bronner's and more of the finished mix. Bronners I found out is very concentrated! You don't need much of it.

1 comment:

Hippie Housewife said...

I make our own laundry soap too. I use 1 part grated pure bar soap (I use Sunlight because I like the smell) to 2 parts borax and 2 parts washing soda. Makes a great powdered laundry soap. I use 2 Tbsp per load.